Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Pie

I have been promising you that I would introduce you to my Cast Iron Skillet Pie recipe. My mom and grandmother have made this recipe for as long as I can remember. My mom would make the pie filling and serve over warm homemade biscuits and call it “Chocolate Gravy.” It was a special treat for us and we would beg for it daily.

The one thing that makes this pie delicious is cooking it in a cast iron skillet. Maybe it’s all in my head or maybe it’s just the thought of it being made the same way generation after generation that makes it so good. I stick with the iron skillet. Why ruin a good thing?

Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Pie

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 rounded Tbsp. cocoa

1 rounded Tbsp. butter (real butter ladies…no need for anything else)

2 rounded Tbsp. flour

In a bowl, combine sugar, flour and cocoa. In a cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add sugar mixture to melted butter. In another bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Add this mixture, a little at a time, to sugar mixture in skillet stirring constantly. Cook slowly. When thick enough, add vanilla and place in a baked pie shell. Top with meringue (which I hate ever since my brother told me it was calf slobbers) and bake at 325 degrees until meringue browned.

13 Comments so far

Comments for the post:
Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Pie

1. 1

Renee aka MekhisMom said,

August 11, 2008 at 1:36 pm:

Umm, that looks so yummy. I am sure it is delicious, I would make it but my husband isn’t into sweets which means I end up eating the whole thing. Not a good look for me.

2. 2

azn8tive said,

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm:

OMG – thank you, thank you! It sounds absolutely heavenly – can’t wait to try it out on the family. Although if it’s anything like the chocolate cookies I make, they’ll be asking for it all the time.

P.S. I think that what brothers are good at…grossing out sisters! My used to do that all the time and occasionally still does.

3. 3

QueenofPlanetHotflash said,

August 11, 2008 at 7:38 pm:

looks fantastic! LMAO @ calf slobbers

4. 4

Tipper said,

August 12, 2008 at 7:50 am:

I grew up eating chocalate gravy and love it!! My hubby says its an abomination.

5. 5

Rick Mansfield said,

August 18, 2008 at 7:54 am:

I’ve created a link to this post in the “Recipes” section of our newest “Cast Iron Around the Web” entry at http://www.cookingincastiron.com

6. 6

betty said,

March 8, 2009 at 9:35 am:

looks yummy,love cast iron,currently no chocolate pies
    in the skillet or not, lost 100 lbs few more left,then will try your pie.kids grow up fast so enjoy even the trying times.

7. 7

Bobbie said,

November 19, 2009 at 1:31 pm:

I don’t like the meringue either, I was raised on a farm and that is just what calf slobbers looks like so when I make this receipt and I have made it several times I leave that off and it is just as good.,

8. 8

Maryflowerpower said,

September 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm:

To make your merigune topping not weepy. Add 1 t. cornstarch to the sugar before you add it to your beaten egg whites

9. 9

Debbiekarnes said,

November 26, 2010 at 1:17 am:

My mother used to make this banana cake every year during the holidays. It was about 4 layers (relatively thin) and between each layer was sliced bananas. She made some sort of icing that was clear that she drizzled between each layer. Then she used broom straws to make holes in the top of the cake through all the layers and drizzled more of the clear icing on the cake so it soaked through. The cake was great the first day, but really great about day 3 when it was moist from the icing soaking through it. Anyone who can find this recipe, I'd love to have it. The key is the icing. It remains clear, never 'frosts'. If anyone has this recipe, I'd love to have it.

10. 10

Evareynolds said,

December 8, 2010 at 11:53 am:

I love this pie…lost most of my recipes when my house burned…thanks for this again..I usually half it again for deep dish pie shells and use whipped cream on top
    Eva

11. 11

Bettyturney said,

May 27, 2012 at 12:27 am:

OMG, I thought only my uncles called meringue that! I never ate the topping because that’s what they told me and my cousins it was.  This is the way my mom made chocolate pudding (and gravy over biscuits).

12. 12

Denisemeriwether said,

June 26, 2012 at 7:24 am:

Do you seperate the eggs?…Use only the yolk for the pie & white for the Merigune?

13. 13

Denisemeriwether said,

June 26, 2012 at 7:25 am:

I have always seperated the eggs…Do you use the whole egg in this pie recipe?…

Trackbacking?

Leave Your Comment:

Your e-mail address will never be displayed, however both your name and email are required. Please be mindful of what you're posting.
Press "Submit Comment" when you are finished and wish to publish your comment.